Unconventional Materials Challenge
What is an unconventional materials challenge?
It is an opportunity for all of the participants to show their creativity with items we don't usually consider for sewing projects. The program director created unmarked envelopes with the name of a store inside. Each participant was instructed to go to the store and purchase non-traditional textiles or other items that could be combined with fabric, yarns or threads from her home stash, fabric store or obtained by donation. 50% was supposed to be the non-traditional item.
The stores that were included were:
- Best Buy
- Book Store
- Grocery Store
- Hallmark Store
- Harbor Freight
- Hobby Lobby's Craft Section
- Joann's Craft Section
- Lawn and Garden Store
- Michaels Crafts
- Paint Store
- Pet Store
- Sporting Goods Store
- Auto Supply Store
- Dollar Store
- Home Depot
- Total Wine & More
We had 14 participants in this month's challenge with very different and creative results. Some of the projects included:
- Doll clothes made of candy wrappers, napkins, mesh, egg cartons, paper labels, orange mesh bags, etc.
- Different bags made with insulated materials, mesh etc.
- Organizer cubes made with mesh and fabric
- Doorway curtain made from wine bottle corks and single serving liquor bottles
- Lunch bag from plastice
- Vest with fringe found from store
- Purse made from coffee containers and plastic
- Project design board
The participants had fun and the results were awesome!